Friday, January 26, 2007

Sternies Away From Stern - Letters from Abroad (Paris, France)

Jeannie Livesay - Paris, France (NYU Study Abroad)

“Oh la la, j’adore Paris!” After spending my semester abroad in Paris, this is a phrase I often find myself saying. I’ve studied French for several years, so naturally I wanted to reside in a place where French is the native language. So I signed up for the small program of about 100 people, packed up as many shoes as I could fit into two suitcases, and headed off to the City of Light.

Upon my arrival, I was greeted with the heavenly aroma of fresh baguettes and detailed art in every nook and cranny of the city. The cobblestone streets were filled with très, très chic Parisians who were walking their dogs, doing their daily market shopping, or sitting at a café for a leisurely espresso. It was more beautiful than any city I had seen before and I knew right away why people fall in love with it.

The NYU in Paris Center is located in the 16th arrondissement in an old, restored mansion. All the classes are held within the same building and you can always find students in the garden out front using the wi-fi or chatting with the French security guard. The classes themselves are more different than usual from the perspective of a Stern student- there are no business courses. At first, this was a little shocking, but in the end it added a lot to my experience by allowing me to take a break from business and explore some of my other interests.

All students are required to take at least one French language course, but many other courses related to French culture are also offered. Among them are art history classes, film classes, and French-African relations classes, in both French and English. Art students go to museums like the Louvre and Musée d’Orsay; acting students see plays all around the city; history students visit monuments and sights like Napoleon’s Tomb. I let go of my inner Sternie and signed up for Acting French, which turned out to be a wonderful and rewarding experience. We performed a play by Samuel Beckett at the end of the semester and our director is actually flying into New York in February so that we can perform it here as well!

For living arrangements, the NYU in Paris staff finds apartments throughout the city for every student. Some people lived by themselves, some had French roommates, and some lived with French families. I lived with my best friend from NYU in an apartment in Montmartre. Montmartre is one of the best-preserved, community-like places left in Paris. Artists like Picasso, Monet, and Dali used to live in this area and today it’s always buzzing with a mixture of locals and tourists who are out to see all the activity going on. At the top of the large hill that is Montmartre lies Sacré Coeur, a basilica that can be seen from almost anywhere in Paris. Close to it is Place du Tertre, a square where artists sell their pieces or offer their services to people strolling by. It’s a truly unique area and definitely a stop to make if you’re visiting Paris.

Now, about the nightlife. While Paris beats New York in art and in pastries, I’d have to say that New York still has the best night scene, though its French counterpart doesn’t fall far behind. At night, Parisians go to trendy clubs, swanky lounges, dive bars, or even cafés and brasseries. We were lucky enough to go to parties with some French friends we made and we got to see all the cultural differences between the American and French styles of “partying”. And yes, we are louder and wilder than the French, but they seemed to be more intrigued than annoyed by this. Despite the bad rep the French get for being rude, I learned that they’re actually wonderful, kind, helpful people that just have a different approach to developing relationships. They may not greet you with a big hug and smile the first time you meet like Americans, but when they say they’ll call you back, they will.

Studying in Paris was one of the most amazing experiences I’ve ever had. My French improved dramatically, I learned a tremendous amount about the arts, and I developed friendships that will last for a lifetime. Trying to integrate yourself into another culture is an incredibly valuable experience and you’ll learn more about the world and about yourself than you ever thought possible. While I may have had to say au revoir to Paris, I’ll always have the memory of my wonderful semester there.

No comments: